At lightning speed, this workshop will cover the bits that aren’t code that make up a working web app. These include servers, monitoring, deployment mechanisms, logging, alerting, secret management, recovery mechanisms… you get the idea.
- how to set up a web server on Linux,
- deploying changes to a web server with zero downtime,
- keeping an eye on your server to make sure things are working,
- tracking down production bugs,
- managing persistent data (such as your database),
- secure communication over HTTPS,
- and, if we have time, how to do all this in the buzzword of the decade, containers.
The workshop is designed to run on Unix-like machine such as Linux or macOS. If you’re running on Windows, we can make it work, but it won’t be quite so true to real life.
If you want to try it out, or even run it yourself at work, please give it a shot (and let me know)! All the instructions are on GitHub. This is an open-source workshop. I hope you like the concept.